Monday, March 9, 2009

Eight Years Ago Today...

...we woke before the sun, scrambled to make ourselves somewhat presentable, and drove (in my gorgeous, custom '79 Chevy pickup...I mean c'mon...was there ever any other option?!) with Jason's cousin, Lance, to the Mesa Temple to hop on this crazy train we've been ridin' out ever since.

We didn't care about fluff. I did my own hair and makeup, made my own veil, and wore lavender Old Navy flip-flops everywhere, ahem, "appropriate." (White slippers where the bar was set a little higher. ;0)

Jason even picked up McDonald's breakfast with his cousin -- both dressed in tuxes. They told the pimply-faced teenager making their Sausage McMuffins that they were there for their job interviews.

He hasn't ceased cracking me up since.

The ceremony was sweet, memorable, tearful and powerful. I'll never stop being grateful for the way it worked out for us.

We drove away from the Temple in my truck, windows down, with me in the driver's seat and my veil flowing out the back window. Everyone -- and I mean EVERYONE -- was honking and cheering on the way to the luncheon and home.

We danced the night away to three hours of music I hand-selected, and we've never looked back.
Since that day, we've:
  • Lived in a smoke-filled, 413 sq. ft. apartment,
  • Watched the towers fall,
  • Bought a dirty little crabshack house in the ghetto,
  • Surprised ourselves with the most edible little boy on the planet,
  • Rescued the world's most dog-esque cat,
  • Been robbed,
  • Left jobs,
  • Acquired new jobs,
  • Started school,
  • Finished school (well, Jason at least -- you lucky punk),
  • Sold our ShootersWorld crabshack,
  • Bought a beautiful, brand new house,
  • Taken on callings we never thought ourselves capable,
  • Become stay-at-home/working/student mom (okay, me specifically),
  • Lost a baby,
  • Received the world's most radiantly beautiful little girl,
  • Made -- and kept -- friends who will last throughout the eternities,
  • Bought and sold cars,
  • Paid dearly for laser-vision,
  • Gained and lost too many pounds to mention,
  • Started our own business,
  • Said goodbye to the WORLD'S GREATEST DOG,
  • Rescued a dog who'll hold is own...and maybe even measure up someday!,
  • And learned more lessons than eight years of blogging could possibly relay.

I can say without a moment's hesitation that my husband is the man my father would pick for me (which oughtta make Elder Collister proud ;0). We pass the test with flying colors because he puts me before himself and I put him before myself. I smile knowing that after we're gone, people will say that we left the greatest legacy...true, unabashed, wholehearted love.

Happy Anniversary, Bubba. Here's to many, many more to come.

8 comments:

  1. What a sweet post! Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweet picture and anniversary, soo cute. Tammi

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are so cute! Happy Anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are so good together. Your husband is very thoughtful, I'll never forget when he offered his ticket to a JM concert and let his wife go on an amazing lesbian date!

    ReplyDelete
  5. C'mon, look at her! Why wouldn't I put her before me....she is the best thing that exists out there (sorry ladies)!!! there is nothing more better, (and yes I used more better because it is better than better) than her out there. It has been a great 8 years and she just becomes that much sweeter over time. The more I am with her, the more I realize how perfect she is and how much I am blessed. Thanks babe for making all my dreams come true....
    Bubba

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary...there seems to be a lot in March!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats!What a cute couple! We just had our 9th. So many memories, love em.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! Boy, has time flown by. Lots of great memories.

    P.S. Your blog is so cute. You know blogging is just a step away from scrapbooking. It's a slippery slope - watch your step!

    Love you,
    Bobbie

    ReplyDelete